Saturday, February 5, 2011

Werewolves, Vampires, and Love! Oh, My!

Hey, everyone. So sorry for being late. The weather here has been quite cold and snowy, causing schools to close and whatnot, so I'm a bit thrown off. I hope you all are doing well, though, and staying safe and warm. :-)

Today I would like to discuss my genre: young adult paranormal romance. This is quite popular, isn't it? What with that little book called Twilight and all, haha. For me, there's nothing better than a love story that crosses the natural world and into the supernatural. It adds an extra thrill to it, something fantastical that captivates me. People say love overcomes all obstacles and I think that saying is illustrated beautifully in paranormal romance.

But as I mentioned earlier, this is a popular genre, one that is so huge Barnes and Noble made a new section for it in the teen department. To be honest, I'm nervous to break onto the scene and try to make a name for myself. The publishing world is competitive in general, but even more so within genres. Does this mean I'm going to stop writing paranormal romance? Nope. Not a chance. It's a genre I love and want to continue trying my hand at. The genre is always growing and changing, and so am I as a writer, so why not grow together? If anything, the competition is going to push me harder to write better stories. It's going to be tough, as is writing in general, but all the hard work will be worth it in the end. It already has paid off. :-D

So, my fellow writers and readers, what are trends in paranormal romance are you growing tired of? What are things you'd like to see more of? Writers, do you think it's hard to compete in this market?

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to see more created creatures. So not spins from werewolves or sirens or something, but a creature made up.

    I'm sick of plots where nothing happens. It might as well be a contemp if there's no exploration of the paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's definitely hard to compete in the paranormal department because all of the known, legendary mythology has been done, so it's a matter of making it uniquely yours. But that's the beauty of fiction, right? Paranormal romance is the pulse of teen lit right now, like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that's the rub. If there's a hit in a certain genre then the demand for books published in that genre goes up, but it becomes harder to get published in that genre because of all the other people trying to get published in that genre.

    - Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Chanelle said, I'm mainly sick of there being no PLOTS. I like the romance, but if the romance is the main focus of the book and not enough else happens, I get bored very quickly. I still love vampires and werewolves, but would love to see more unique stories centered around them.

    I do agree writing in such a popular genre will push you to be a better writer! The competition is fierce, after all. :D YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in reading about different creatures that I'm not familiar with. However, I'd still read about a vampire/werewolf if the plot was original. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind when paranormal deals with original plots. I also like the trend of science-fiction with a paranormal feel, like Virals and I Am Number Four.

    What I don't like is rushed stories that read like a soap opera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who is having a paranormal romance printed in 2011 all I can say is 'gulp'.

    ReplyDelete