Monday, May 2, 2011

My So-Called Life and writing

I want to talk about something a little different today. I'm not a big TV person. I just don't watch it. There are no shows that I watch on a weekly basis. There are a couple shows I tried to get into, that I enjoyed, but I just can never make it last. There's a few older shows that I LOVE though.

My all time favorite show is is My So-Called Life. It only lasted one season, but I can honestly say there is nothing like it. I own the season. I've watched it over and over. I study it actually. I think it's not only an entertaining series for people to watch, but I think it's good for writers. Awesome characterization. Awesome emotions. Awesome writing. I would love to write characters like this. Characters that you feel like your inside their skin, living and breathing and feeling everything they do right along with them. I think it captured what it's REALLY like to be a teen in a way NO other show ever has and probably ever will. It didn't sugarcoat life, which I love. It's so painful, and raw, and just make of awesome. I catch something different every time I watch an episode.

"People always say you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing like a toaster or something."

Gah. Love it.

It showed so many facets of life. Joy, pain, heartache, loss, betrayal, low self esteem, needing to fit in, and it did them all brilliantly. Here is one of my favorite scenes. When Jordan walks proudly down the hall with Angela for the first time. I FEEL her happiness when I watch it. I'm not afriad to mention I tear up ;)



And the break up scene. So raw and full of emotion. I don't think I will ever crush on anyone the way I do Jordan Catalono. He is so tortured and so far from perfect it's not even funny, but you can't help but love him.



Confusion on Sex, which is sort of in the other scenes too, but I love seeing it in the scene.



How confusing relationships are and how when they're over, sometimes they're more than they ever were when they were on. How they can mean different things to different people.



Issues teens face. REAL problems. AKA Jordan can't read


Writers, are there any shows you watch and study that help with your writing? Do you think TV and movies CAN help with writing.

Readers, what are some of your favorite TV shows and why.

17 comments:

  1. I know Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a great source of inspiration if you're looking for pithy, whip-smart dialogue. Also, I surprisingly found Lost to be quite influential on my work as well. Not only the way the show teased out the mystery elements but also the flashback structure which I 'borrowed' for my first novel.

    PS. Thanks for posting the MSCL clips. They brought back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this show - should see if I can find it in stores here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely ADORED this show. I clung to the re-runs because I couldn't believe they cancelled it. I went to a Thirty Seconds to Mars concert and got Jared Leto's autograph and it took everything in me not to tell him how much I loved him on that show. I know he doesn't take kindly to Jordan Catalano references but... swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, Kelley, I know you had way too much fun finding these clips! :)
    It's been awhile since I've felt inspired by TV...

    ReplyDelete
  5. MJ, You're welcome. I never thought of it, but I bet LOST was a good one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trisha, you SO should. Best show ever. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina, Me too!! I have SO been wanting to go to a 30 Seconds to Mars show, but I said if I ever met Jared it would be so hard not to call him Jordan. LOL. I do love their music though. It's my ringtone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, you know me so well! I have nothing to read right now and planned on writing last night. I was just going to do my blog post and then start and guess what? I spent the whole night looking at clips. LOL. I need to find someone local who loves it like I do and we can have a marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MSCL was definitely a great teen drama. I also liked Freaks and Geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best show ever! Krakow was total unsung hero of that show. Whatever for Jordan Catalano.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked Buffy, Roswell, and Veronica Mars. Oddly enough, I didn't watch any of them until sometime within the last 2 years. I haven't seen much of MSCL, but I should really check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVED this show.
    Also, I remember watching 90210 all through college.
    OH! And Buffy, can't forget Buffy...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked Krakow too, Christa.

    Jennifer, I've never seen Veronica Mars. Everyone is always talking about it.

    Jolene, yay for Buffy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have y'all seen this? http://morningmidnight.com/post/5219957085/we-need-you-rayanne-project

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEST. SHOW. EVER. Can I say I love this show now more than ever. Every time I see 30 Seconds to Mars videos or hear him sing I think of Jordan. LOL I wished this show & Veronica Mars was still on. :( Miss them so much. I would've loved to found out what season two would've been like.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie, me too. it's heartbreaking--all the what ifs. I want to know what happened when Angela and Jordan drove off. How things went with Krakow. What happened with her parents. And yes.

    BEST. SHOW. EVER. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. What about Dawson's Creek? Did anyone watch that? I liked the High School years, but not college. Totally Team Pacey ;)

    ReplyDelete