Friday, November 28, 2014

Writers Take Baby Steps

Duh, right? Of course writers take baby steps.

You don’t just wake up one day and say, “I’m going to write a book!”, write a book, and get it published before dessert.

It takes time. It takes exploration and mistakes and hard work. Ask any writer you look up to. Even “overnight success” stories don’t actually happen overnight. Even if you’re among the luckiest and most skilled, it takes effort and patience.

It’s all in the baby steps.

Source: giphy


When I started writing toward my goal of being a published author, all I had was a terrible manuscript. That manuscript is printed off in a box in my mom and dad’s house. I stumbled upon it recently and didn’t even recognize it as my own because I’ve grown so much since then. It took writing that to get better, though. I wouldn’t be where I am without it.

After that, I got into blogging. One of my blogs gained the interest of people outside my close family and fiends. Whaaaa! I even got paid in product now and then for writing that blog, which amazed me. My two other blogs are more personal, so people who don’t know me don’t generally care about what I write there. But it was the experience of writing these blogs (along with forming relationships and putting myself out there during #PitchWars on Twitter) that helped me get this spot as a contributor on YAtopia. Doing what I love on this blog will undoubtedly help me when I query my current manuscript. I’ve had the best writing year of my life. No, I haven’t accomplished all my dreams and goals, but I’m getting closer and having a blast doing it.

I encourage you, no matter how long you’ve been writing and dreaming of the day you get that book deal, to appreciate the baby-step process. In this season of gratitude, be thankful for every step you’ve taken so far because those steps have propelled you someway, somehow. Be encouraged by all you’ve done. None of it is wasted. Push on. Take more steps. One day you’ll be glad you did.

I’m right there with you and cheering you on!

Source: giphy


Cheerfully yours,
Jessie Mullins

@Je55ieMullin5



1 comment:

  1. "It took writing that to get better, though. I wouldn’t be where I am without it."

    That's a very important realization. We have to fail (often over and over again) before we can succeed.

    So many people are afraid to even get started on something because they fear this failure. They fear that they must go through hell to reach their objectives.

    Which is true, of course. But there is no other way.

    I'm glad you made it. :)

    ReplyDelete