Saturday, May 28, 2011

How to be a Good Critique Partner/Beta Reader

I cannot stress enough the importance of having multiple trusted critique partners, or beta readers, for your stories. It’s a partnership, a give and take. I suggest not limiting yourself to family members as your only critics. Family tend to offer excess praise and not enough of the necessary critical eye. Find yourself another serious writer and offer to beta for them in return. A book should not be shared with the world until it’s been carefully sifted through. That being said, there are certain unspoken rules for critiquing. Feel free to add to this list in the comments!

~ Be honest. This is the most important thing. Point out the things you love, but more importantly, point out places that stand out to you as sounding awkward, unlikely, out of character or any other thing that doesn’t feel right. Pay attention to the overall story arc: the setting, plot, characterizations, pacing, etc. You are not helping the writer if you are not honest. Be as detailed as possible. Too many adverbs? Too many unnecessary smiles? An entire scene that could be cut? Let them know! And don’t be offended if they decide not to take your advice.

~ Be kind. I don’t mean to sugarcoat your thoughts, but don’t be unnecessarily harsh. Critiquing can be a sensitive process for the receiving writer, who is essentially baring themselves to you, and they will need to feel encouraged and hopeful when they read your suggestions. Try to refrain from telling them something sucks.

~ Be timely. Of course, this means different things for different people. When I beta for an entire book, I try to have it back to the author within 1-2 weeks. I don’t agree to beta unless I can make it one of my top priorities. Keep in mind that your beta partner is probably waiting for your notes so that they can revise and move on to the next step in their writing process, whether it’s another critique partner, an agent, or an editor. Communicate openly, and work out a plan about whether you will send them chapters as you finish, or wait until the critique is complete before returning it.

12 comments:

  1. Eeek I need these pointers so bad. I am a lame critic partner. I get distracted, forget to write comments and timeliness is my biggest problem. I'll read this post when I need a pep talk =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard when we're really busy, Sharon! I think of the whole writing process as a job, and reading/critiquing is part of that job. It can be really fun when we get critique partners who have the same story interests as us. I enjoy all of the stories I beta, so it ends up not feeling like work at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My snags are that I forget to point out the things they are doing right in the midst of things which can be improved. Although the "fix this" comments are meant to be constructive, fixating on too many negative things can be a depressing experience for the author.You're right it doesn't need to be sugar coated, but there should be something good things that can be said about some aspect of a weak piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. K. Turley, yes! I try to point out anything that's well done or makes me smile/laugh. Otherwise they'll get the notes and think I didn't enjoy anything about it, and that's depressing (I know this from experience, haha). :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Too many adverbs? Too many unnecessary smiles?" <--- Ahahahaha!

    *like*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Critiquing is hard. You have to balance being too mean with being too nice. These are great things to keep in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, Jenna. Finding that balance is key. And eventually you and your crit partner get to know each other and fall into a comfortable routine where you can be more blunt and not hurt each others' feelings, haha.

    Evie J...I have no words. Letting you crit my work is like writing bootcamp. You're a butt kicker, LOL! And my story is SOO much better for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *flexes finger and brain muscles* Muahaha! GET TO WORK!!!! I'm sorry, does your brain hurt?! I DON'T CARE!!! FINISH IT!!!

    ...

    I watch too much Biggest Loser. Ahahaha! :D *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Evie - Ma'am, yes, Ma'am!

    I also love working with Kelley Vitollo - we've got a beta groove going on. I'm critting one of her stories right now. *Loves*

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I try to do these things, because that's what I'd want someone else to do for my work when I ask for a critique.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love working with you too!! I am so blessed wit awesome beta readers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, Andrea! That's what I like to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete