Sunday, April 14, 2013

Interview with YA Author Janine Spendlove

This month I am doing something a little different and posting an interview with Janine Spendlove, whom I have had the pleasure of knowing for quite sometime. I plan to something even more different, or is it really different since I have never done this before, is do a follow up interview with Janine next month for and with any questions you might have for her. If you do please post them in the comments by the first of May.

Davey

 ***

Janine K. Spendlove is a KC-130 pilot in the United States Marine Corps. Her bestselling first novel, War of the Seasons, Book One: The Human, was published in June 2011 and her next novel, War of the Seasons, Book Two: The Half-blood, was released in June 2012. She’s also had several short stories published in various anthologies. A graduate from Brigham Young University in 1999 with a BA in History Teaching, she is an avid runner, enjoys knitting, playing Beatles tunes on her guitar, and spending time with her family. She resides with her husband and daughter in Washington, DC. She is currently at work on her next novel. Find out more at WarOfTheSeasons.com.



Why or what made you want to be a writer?

I'm a pilot in the United States Marine Corps and back in 2007 I was asked to contribute a few short stories of some of my flying experiences to an anthology. I did and they bought both stories that I wrote... I thought "hey, this is pretty cool..."

Then I read a novel & was very disappointed by the ending and took my first foray into writing fanfic to give the story the ending I thought it should have had.

That story led to others... and before I knew it I'd caught the writing bug and was writing original fiction. 



Do you have a day job or do you write full time?

I have two 24/7 jobs. First and foremost I'm a wife/mother; additionally, as mentioned above I'm also a U.S. Marine. Neither one of these is a "day job" by any definition I can think of. ;)



Tells us about your series

The first book in the War of the Seasons trilogy, The Human, introduces Story, a strong female lead who happens to quite literally fall into another world and land herself smack dab in the middle of a centuries long conflict between the fairies and elves. As it turns out she is the deciding factor, and her choices determine the fate of a dying racing. It's got action, adventure, romance, magic, and a story that appeals to all ages.

The Half-blood  picks up six months later. Story finds herself once again on a quest and along the way she must face the consequences of her previous choices and battle with enemies both old and new while she races against time. 

The final book in the trilogy, The Hunter is the culmination of a millennia of prophecy, where everyone in Ailionora must fight to hold the Winter King at bay, and prevent Chaos from being unleashed. The existence of all hangs in the balance.




What inspired you to write your series?

If you own a copy of War of the Seasons: The Human and you look at the dedication you’ll see it’s “For Will.”

Who was Will?

William Harrell Snell was born on March 26, 1990 and died in a car accident on Aug 4, 2008.
He was a very dear part of my life and I was having a very difficult time dealing with his death, so I turned to writing. If you'd like to learn a little more about Will I have a blog post here:




What advice would you give to a new writer trying to become an author?

To kind of quote Dory from Finding Nemo "Just keep writing, just keep writing..."

Seriously. It's the only way you'll ever get better. And when people give you constructive criticism, don't get defensive - listen to what they have to say. They may have a point, and what could it hurt to give what they are suggesting a try? If it doesn't work you can always go back to the way it was. 



Do you have any hobbies besides writing?

So very many. I love to run, with 1/2 marathons being my favorite race distance, though I have raced everything from a 200 mile road relay down to a 1 mile dash. Running keeps me sane & is perfect for when I've got some writer's block. Additionally I love to knit, play my guitar, make costumes, and though I haven't done it in years I desperately want to pick up quilting again. Some day when I have the time... 




What is one question you have never been asked but wanted to be asked and answer?

Who is my favorite Beatle?

Paul. Forever Paul. 






No comments:

Post a Comment