Monday, October 3, 2011

Finding Your Passion

I read THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER last week. Let me just say the book is made of awesome. I don't remember the last time I read a book this good. I loved it so much, I told a bunch of my friends about it. I plead the book's case and three people ended up buying it, devouring it, and loving it. I was fielding text messages, Tweets, and FB messages, a lot of which consisted of "OMG!" LOL. It was awesome. So much fun to talk about a book we all loved so much.

Then Saturday rolled around. I ended up in a couple hours long Tweet-fest on books with a couple different friends there. We were sharing some of our favorite adult series with each other, favorite characters, and which books were our favs. It was so fun to see which book they would mention. Which characters we all loved. Which boys made us swoon. I ended up with a list of new books to buy too.

Sunday was a writing day for me. I'm super close to finishing my WIP and when I get close, I get in the zone. I become obsessive about my book and don't want to walk away from it at all until it's done. I wrote for three hours at Starbucks. Came home and wrote in between all my household chores too. I was GIDDY over what I'd written. Even more in love with my characters. And PROUD. It's not finished and will need work, but I'm proud of the story I created. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

It's then I realized how very lucky I am. I know what my passion is. Books. And it's incredible because there are so many ways I can be passionate about them: reading, writing, talking about them. What an awesome, awesome thing it is to know what you love. To feel such a fire for something and to be able to DO it. I know what I love and I'm able to spend a whole Sunday LIVING it. I'm able to talk for hours about how different books affect me.

Amazing, how much words on a page can change your life. How you can live and breathe them and share them with the world. I'm so very lucky.

What is YOUR passion? If it's books, are you like me were you become obsessive about talking about them? Are stories and characters a kind of high for you? And because I love talking books, what's the last book you read that you just HAD to talk about?

11 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and YES! My friends laugh at me (in a good way) because I could seriously book talk non-stop.

    I just got "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" and can't wait to get to it.

    If you haven't read "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!

    it's AMAZING! I can't stop thinking and talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing that about Daughter. It's on my list to get SOON!

    And YAY for book talk!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read it last week too. AMAZING.

    I could just say 'Ditto' on what my passion is! You worded it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books are absolutely, completely my passion. And yes, I can talk about them non-stop, and I kind of turn into a rabid blabbermouth when someone else has read and loved the same book as me XD

    I'm reading Mara Dyer right now! I like it so far. The last book I just HAD to talk about was The Knife of Never Letting Go. Talk about a brutal book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I scrounge money, I pilfer the books I've already read - all to buy more shiny, new books.

    I LOVE people who love books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BOOKS!!! And thank you oh, so very much for making me read Mara Dyer!

    I feel blessed to be a writer. While other people are moaning about Monday, I'm chomping at the bit for it to arrive so I can get to work! How lucky are we to love what we do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Books! And I completely relate. When I am close finishing a WIP, I have tunnle vision and nothing matters, not the dishes, meals, friends, nothing, until it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My passion is books too! I adore talking about them, reading them, and bugging other people to read too. And writing is especially my greatest love because it's just so much fun! It can be hard at times but in the end it's really satisfying to write even if it's not very good. Plus there's all these fantastic people out there who love books, writing, and talking just like me! The last book I read that I LOVED is "The Book Theif" and I have to add this one too- "Across the Universe".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing so many people passionate about books!!

    Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Besides writing, my passion is music. I love to sing and have the whole audience singing along with me or just getting into the music.The rush of it makes all the hard work of practice worth it :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books and writing are serious passions with me, and I can get carried away talking about stories or characters. The excitement I get when near the end of a WIP, or while reading a book I think is fantastic, is pretty much unequaled.

    ReplyDelete