Saturday, December 1, 2012

Olde City, New Blood Spotlight: C.A. Kunz

This is the fifth in a series featuring authors who will be attending Olde City, New Blood. Check out the bottom of this post for more info on the con! Today, we're featuring mother-son writing duo C.A. Kunz with an excerpt of their newest book, The Modified.

Bio

The mom and son author duo, C.A. Kunz, thoroughly enjoys writing about things that go bump in the night and futuristic action-packed romances while drinking massive amounts of English breakfast tea and Starbucks coffee. To find out more about this duo and their books visit their blog, or find them on Facebook and Twitter!





The Modified

What would you sacrifice to save the one's you love? To save the one who holds your heart? To save the world?

Kenley Grayson is all too familiar with these questions.

After Earth is thrust into its first intergalactic war with an unknown race called the Bringers, our military forces begin to suffer heavy losses. Desperate for a solution, the Allied Federation issues a worldwide draft for every able seventeen year old to enlist. As Kenley turns seventeen, she finds herself thrown into the very war that took her older brother's life.

This year's draft is a little different than in the past though. A new program, known as the Magnus Project, has been introduced, and only the best and brightest qualify. Kenley is amongst a select few whom are chosen to join this elite group of soldiers, and as a part of this project, undergoes a modification procedure that leaves her and her peers endowed with powers beyond their wildest dreams.

As Earth continues in its struggle against the Bringers, Kenley is transported to a high-tech training facility, the Magnus Academy, to prepare for the major battle that lies ahead. It's here that she meets the California heartthrob, and son of a legendary war hero, Landon Shaw. As unexpected feelings toward Landon begin to develop, Kenley wonders if this is the right time or place for romance to bloom, especially when those feelings start to interfere with her training.

With the weight of the world on her shoulders, Kenley is constantly reminded of how important she and the rest of the Magnus cadets are to the fate of humanity. She is one of the Modified, Earth's last line of defense against utter destruction.

Excerpt


Chapter Two – The Shrouded Facility
As I pull up to our usual Thursday night hangout, my car’s headlights shimmer off the side view mirror of Joey’s old red Mustang. The black stripes on the sides of the car have almost all but worn away, and the vehicle is a little beat-up, but he absolutely loves that car. It was what allowed him to get away from his parents.
Thursdays were barhopping nights for his dad, and Joey never wanted to be home when he returned. I’ll never forget the first night he came to my bedroom window after his Dad beat the crap out of him. That’s actually why we started meeting in this field by Old Man Gary’s farm.
Ever since we were kids, Joey and I have loved looking at the stars, and this field was the perfect place to do that. Before we were old enough to drive, we used to come out here with Dylan. We’d all lie in the back of his truck and stare up into the peaceful night sky. Those were definitely happy times.
“Hey, stranger. I wasn’t sure if you’d show up tonight. You know, with us leaving tomorrow and all,” I say as I see him shielding his eyes from the brightness of my car’s headlights.
“I’d never miss our Thursday nights,” he replies with a grin. “Besides, Dad’s been in rare form lately, and I didn’t want to push my luck.” He laughs off his statement, but I know it bothers him. “Hey, what? No pizza this time?”
“Oh crap, I knew there was something I was forgetting.”
“You just don’t want to go to Jonnie’s Pizza Place anymore since you found out that Bobby Fowler has a crush on you,” he jokes.
“Not true. Bobby Fowler has a girlfriend.”
Joey laughs. “Uh, he’s a guy. Just because he has a girlfriend doesn’t mean he isn’t looking. And word is he’s been looking at you a lot lately. And you know how he has a thing for tall, athletic blondes.” 
“First of all, gross. And for your information, not all men are like that. And second, he’s not even my type,” I reply with a huff.
“Uh-huh,” Joey mutters sarcastically as he jumps onto the hood of his car and takes a seat. He taps the space next to him for me to join.
I crawl onto the hood of the car and lay back on the windshield. As I look up into the sky, I take in a deep breath and begin to think about everything that will happen tomorrow. There’s a light breeze and I can hear it rustle through the field of long grasses that surrounds us, as they swish and sway. The smell of fresh flowers fills my nose as I take in a deep breath. It’s soothing really.
“What’s on your mind?” Joey asks me as he settles into a laying position, resting his head on the windshield next to mine.
I let out a little laugh. “Tons,” I reply and look over at him with worry in my eyes. He returns my look and grabs for my hand.
“You know what, Kenley? No matter what happens to us, no one can take away the memories and times we’ve shared. Those are ours, and we will never lose them.”
“Wow, you sound final,” I state with slight sadness in my voice.
“No, not final. I just want you to know that. Just in case…you know,” he says, sending me a little smile while squeezing my hand.
“Please don’t say things like that right now, okay? I don’t want to even imagine that,” I murmur as I turn away to look at the stars again. He just squeezes my hand and lets out a sigh.
“I didn’t mean to make you upset. I just wanted you to know that,” he says quietly.
“It’s okay, Joey. But tonight I just want to live in this moment for a bit and try not to think about what the future holds.”
“Got it,” he states and turns to gaze toward the stars as well.
I begin to feel bad about how I just handled the last conversation. It eats away at me since I know Joey was just trying to get out what he wanted to say. I was quick with him. He’s quite an emotional person and doesn’t really have much of an outlet other than talking to me.
“Hey, Joey?” I ask, breaking the silence.
“Yeah?”
“Do you remember the game we used to play with Dylan? He used to drive us out here and we’d sit in the back of his truck while staring up at the sky and play that star game.”
“How could I forget? The ‘What’s Your Star’ game, right?”
“Yep.”
“Yeah, I remember. You’d pick a star, name it, and then make up a story about it,” he replies with a warm laugh, almost like he was remembering back to a particular time.
“Do you want to play? You know, for old times' sake?”
“Sure.”
“I’ll go first,” I say and then scan the sky for a star. The blanket of tiny twinkling lights above our heads is truly breathtaking. There are so many stars in the sky that it almost makes it impossible to choose just one. I finally settle on a large bright one off to our left. It’s surrounded by several other stars, but its light is so intense that it shines there like a beacon in the darkness. “That one,” I announce as I point to it.
“Good choice. Now, what’s its name?” he asks.
“Joey.”
“Joey, huh?”
“Yep, I’m dedicating this one to you.”
The moment I say that, another star right next to the one I chose begins to shine just as bright.
“Well, I’m choosing that one then,” Joey states, pointing to the star next to mine. “That star has your name written all over it.”
I laugh and so does he. “What’s your star’s story?” he asks me.
“Actually, if you don’t mind, I have a story for both of them,” I reply with a slight smile.
“Oh really? Consider me intrigued,” he jokes.
I strengthen my grip on his hand. “The Joey star and Kenley star are best friends, and have been inseparable since they were young. They’ve been through a lot and have persevered, not allowing their glow to ever be diminished. Joey and Kenley have made a pact that they will always be by each other’s sides, and nothing, not even death, will keep them apart. When one of them glows bright, the other one glows just as bright because they support one another, no matter what.”
I feel Joey kiss my forehead and lay his head down closer to mine. “Kenley Grayson. You are my best friend in the entire world. You know that, right?”
“Yes, and so are you,” I reply as a tear rolls down my cheek. There’s a slight pause in our conversation as a silence falls between us.
“Hey, I thought you said you didn’t want to get deep and emotional,” he says with a laugh.
“I guess I got caught up in the moment.”
“Well, that was a great story. Ever thought of becoming a writer?” he jokes.
“Very funny. Let’s see you come up with a better one,” I giggle, giving him a little love tap on the arm.
     “I’m up for the challenge. Here goes nothing,” Joey states and I snuggle up close to him as he begins to tell his tale of Joey star and Kenley star.




Don't miss your chance to meet Carol and Adam and spend some time with them and other awesome authors and readers at the Olde City, New Blood urban fantasy / paranormal romance mini-convention this February 8-10th in St. Augustine, FL. We'll have panels, readings, meet & greets and lots of time for everyone to mingle with their favorite authors. Check out http://OldeCityNewBlood.wordpress.com for all the details. Can't wait to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind, I posted a link to your blog and this post on my blog The C.A. Kunz Compendium. Here's the post if you want to approve.

    http://cakunzcompendium.blogspot.com/2012/12/carol-and-adam-featured-on-yatopia.html

    ReplyDelete