Saturday, August 4, 2012

Magical Books That Make Me Happy

photo by...well, me.
Have you ever read a book and loved it so much you had to stop and think, "Wow. That was an amazing book" and then the more you think about the more you're inspired by that book? Well, I'm sure you have, so it's kind of a stupid question. I am first and foremost a reader and because of that, books influence me in various ways. So, today I'd like to share what some of my favorite books are and how they influence me.

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer:

It's no secret that Twilight is the book that made me want to start writing. Although it may not be the most well-written book, there's no doubt that Ms. Meyer has a talent for storytelling. The overall story is enthralling and I've taken a few pointers from it on how to keep readers interested--interested about the plot, the conflict, the characters, the romance. Everything.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor:

This book is purely amazing. Stunning. Beautiful. Breath-stealing. Thanks to this book and Ms. Taylor, I've begun to think of new and more abstract ways of describing things and different ways to unfold a story.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern:

Much like Daughter of Smoke and Bone, this book reminds me to look at my descriptions and turn them on their heads. The language in this book is so lush and exquisite that it literally enchants you.

The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting:

Kimberly Derting has taught me how to create suspense, how to creep readers out, and how to write from the POV of the villain. This definitely helped me write the opening of Hunted.

***

So, what are your favorite books and how have they shaped your writing?


8 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with your assessment of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I couldn't put it down. The writing was superb. I actually had to go on a short writing hiatus after reading that book because I feared I was so absorbed in the story that my own voice would be tainted by Karou's! LOL It was wonderful and sucked me right in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't stop thinking about Smoke and Bone afterwards, too, so I had to take a short break as well. My mind just couldn't grasp the beauty of that book, haha.

      Delete
  2. I have those last three on my to read list! Super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree with you more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful picks! I can't tell you how happy I was that you listed Twilight as one of your picks. I have always written, and aspired to be a novelist, but I'll say that while majoring in creative writing and inhaling craft books stifled me quite a bit, reading Twilight reminded me that writing is also about having fun, taking risks, and the strength of imagination/storytelling! I've just started The Night Circus, and I'm really liking it so far!

    <3 Britta
    http://novelday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you said. Writing shouldn't always be about "the craft" and the rules. It should be spontaneous, fun, exciting, and risky. Hope your writing is going well and I can't wait until we can all see your books on the shelves!

      Delete