Friday, March 11, 2011

Share the Love

I have to be honest. After watching footage from the earthquake and tsunami in Japan yesterday, I couldn’t bring myself to write a serious blog. All I want to do today is embrace life and share the love. In keeping with our passion for reading, I thought we could share the books we love. Thankfully there are lovely sites like Goodreads.com, which allow us to recommend stories to one another (I’m always looking for new goodreads friends, nudge, nudge). But nothing beats a good, old-fashioned conversation about books – even if it’s an online conversation. :) Let the sharing begin!




It was hard to narrow down, but here are some books whose characters came alive, pulling me into their worlds:


YA Adventure/Dystopian: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
YA Para/Fantasy Romance: Twilight by Stephenie Meyers & Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
YA Contemp Romance: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
YA High Fantasy: Graceling by Kristin Cashore
YA Contemp: Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Bradshares
YA Contemp Suspense: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
MG Fantasy: entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (I know this turns some people off because it's wildly popular and geared towards kids, but if you haven't read it, please do! It's magical in more ways than one.)
Adult Fantasy Romance: the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning (starts with Dreamfever)
Adult Contemp: Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (has YA m.c. but considered adult lit)

What are some reads YOU have loved? Thanks for sharing!

9 comments:

  1. VAMPIRE ACADEMY!!!!

    Okay, now that that's out of the way:

    *Before I Fall and Delirium both by Lauren Oliver
    *Twenty Boy Summer and Fixing Delilah both by Sarah Ockler
    *Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink
    *The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

    And nobody hit me, but I still haven't read Harry Potter. :o *runs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA Adventure/Dystopian: Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - Agree, but I may have lkiked Catching Fire better.
    Para/Fantasy Romance: Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead
    YA Sci Fi: Across the Universe by Beth Revis
    YA Contemp Suspense: Beautiful Malice
    MG Fantasy: entire Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (I totally agree, personally I think it's ageless)
    Adult Fantasy/Paranormal Romance: Sookie Stackhouse
    Adult SciFi: The Time Traveller's Wife )starts to drool at thought of Henry)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the recs Evie and Sharon!
    Evie, please read Harry Potter!!! It's timeless and ageless, like Sharon said. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea.

    YA: Libba Bray's Great and Terrible Beauty trilogy, Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak

    children's/all ages: Little Women! (I can't help it), and the Harry Potter books

    adult: Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (especially the first three), The Stand by Stephen King

    I'm also blown away by Brenna Yovanoff's The Replacement right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Amy! I've heard someone else talk about the Outlander series (Morgan?) - definitely sounds good.
    Ooh, speaking of Stephen King's horror stories, I loved The Green Mile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evie, Isn't Sarah Ockler amazing? She is one of my fav contemporary authors. No one puts words together as beautifully as she does, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, LOVE the Summer series by Jenny Han. MOre beautiful, beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Outlander!!!!! (def not YA)

    JR Ward's Black Dagger books! (whoa, def not YA!)

    ReplyDelete