Whether you are self publishing, an indie publisher, or a Big 5 publisher, when your book is released it's a really good idea to have a blog tour.
If you don't have a publicist (or sometimes even if you do), you will need to organise this yourself.
So here's some tips for DIY blog tours:
- Develop a media kit: You need to provide bloggers with some basic information including:
- Author Bio
- Author Pic
- Author links (Twitter, FB, Goodreads, website/blog)
- Book blurb
- Cover pic
- Book buy links...all of them (no-one will impulse buy if they don't know where to buy it from)
- Competition link (Rafflecopter works well - and giveaways can be free copies of your book).
- Look for topics that support your storyline/author brand.
- Leave room for interviews.
- Make some quirky.
- Make some for readers exclusively.
- Make some for writers exclusively.
- Don't start a blog tour unless your book is for sale or preorder.
- Two-three weeks is a good length for blog tours.
- Include this online with a sign-up sheet so people can pick free dates.
- Blogger friends (who you may blog with or know online)
- Agency/publisher brothers and sisters (fellow authors can be so supportive).
- Social media friends (put a call out on Twitter and Facebook)
- Look for blogs that cover off on your category and genre.
- Look for blogs that participate in cover reveals and blog tours.
- Promote the blog tour list prior and during blog tour.
- Promote each individual blog post in your tour.
- Put a thank you in the comments of each blog post in your tour.
- Send a thank you email.