Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Go Fish


People often ask me where my ideas come from. They also ask if my day job inspires me. I can quite honestly say, no, my stories are not based on real life experiences ripped from the 9 to 5. I write as a way to simultaneously feed my creative side while getting away from the stress of the rat race.

As for where my ideas come from—I can’t say. I’m not the type of writer who scours the story shelves for something to build a plot on. Nope. My style involves casting a fishing line into my subconscious and walking away. I might not check the hook for days or even weeks. More often than not, a scrumptious piece of a tale I can really sink my teeth into is waiting for me.

Problem is, I can’t force it. Patience is key.

It’s hard to be patient when a deadline is looming over my shoulder, counting every wasted second where I’m not writing. Deadlines like to heap guilt onto my brain, add a healthy dose of water, and stir, creating a sticky, muddy sludge that suffocates my subconscious. Deadlines also like to wreak havoc on my confidence. They whisper deadly jabs that sap my imagination and squelch my ability to spin a compelling yarn.

I guess I’m bringing this topic up to you guys for some feedback. What I need to do is create a space where I can go fishing in my subconscious trust in the process without letting the bait-stealing deadline wreck everything.

What do you guys do? How do you keep your creative bubble intact? What do you fortify it with so a deadline lance doesn’t burst it? 

~Laura Diamond
Author of YA Paranormal Romance and Dystopia

No comments:

Post a Comment